So on one of our rare weekends off we decided to tackle the front yard, digging up the old flower beds, removing nasty cement edging( which we have sneakily been disposing of slowly each week in our garbage cans.....hey we can't be hauling that stuff to the landfill in a Honda Accord). The lawn will be a challenge as patches are missing, the land seems to resemble the rolling plains of the midwest, and there is some serious nasty underbrush of deadness that is lurking just below the surface. It may just look like a bunch of dirt to you....but to us it is a bunch of dirt that we can now plant in:) Anything to make our drab and sad looking house perk up a little bit. It's not much but here is the after shot...of at least some of it anyways
That tree in the far right corner is my baby...and I am determined not to Kill it. The man at the tree farm said it doesn't favor as well in our climate....she's a southern belle you see and is very tempermental (we'll get along perfectly then), and she goes by the name of a Dogwood. Everyday Marc stands in front of it for a minute or two...shakes his head and says, "I think it's dying". "Not on my watch"....is all I have to say. I begged him to get this tree because I thought it was so beautiful, so that is my number 2 priority in life...keep the dogwood alive. May was quiet the chaotic month for us....longer days and harder hours at work, family get togethers to plan for mother's day and my mom's birthday....not to mention we also have picked up a fun new hobby. It's something that I have been wanting to do for quiet some time, but it all started as we were scratching our heads over what to get our mom's for mothers day. Marc helped me pick out the perfect idea for my mom, a photo shoot to get family portraits done( she has been wanting to do this forever)....but now we were left with Linda. For both of them it was pretty rough, what did you get someone who has everything they could want...or if they don't have it and want it they get it for themselves....hmmm. Costco offered no help and no solutions....and there was no way I was walking through the doors of the quilted bear again. Then the perfect idea came to us....Linda is always so young at heart...and she better stay that way...so what better than to get her a bike!
And that is where the hobby/addiction began from. First we got Linda's bike...then Dan bought himself a bike....then before you knew it Marc and I were picking out our own new set of wheels. A few extra shifts would have it paid off in no time, and it would be well worth it. But Marc would only allow it on one condition.....we had to wear helmets.
So watch out for these crazies on the road!! We have already found a couple of routes that are pretty fun to do....we're no Lance Armstrong ...YET....but we're working on it. Marc likes off road rocky trails mostly, and I really enjoy the long spanse of blacktop heading up a canyon...we compromise though and usually meet in the middle. If you look closely in the background of that last picture you'll see our other guilty pleasure....reality TV....The biggest Loser..American Idol....America's got talent...and The Bachelor. We just can't help ourselves, we know it is sucking away our lives..but...but...it's so enthralling.
One weekend we headed up north for a quick hello and goodbye for my mom's birthday/mother's day celebration. We took her out for a good time to see the new Iron Man 2 movie, and then to a favorite eatory....Firehouse Pizza. In college this was my favorite place to go with my roomates. The bread has cheese baked right into the middle of it with alfredo dipping sauce. The pizza can be personal sized so you can not worry about having to share...the pastas are gooey with cheese and any topping you can imagine. And then best of all....the Pizookies. When we were first married this was almost a nightly addiciton for us. Someone had given us the at home pizookie skillets...and we'll just say that between the months of October and January we probably bought out all the cookie dough and vanilla ice cream from the Smith's on 5th south and 4th east. Basically it is a huge fresh from the oven cookie( any kind you can imagine) topped with delicious vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, and carmel sauce. Foodgasmic!!!!
Life can get a little hectic and work is always demanding and the house chores seem to sprout overnight right after you have just done them so every once in awhile you gotta take a girls day. Not only is our lil house perfect for us, with the best location, amazing parks nearby, and the mountains right out our window..but also two blocks over lives Marc's cousin and my new found friend and partner in crime....Catherine Garff. She in fact is the creditor to the blog...if it wasn't for her you would never know how utterly crazy and weird these Errors are.....thanks Catherine. We're always trying to find time to have some fun, get out of the house and destress ourselves....and how better to do that than with a treat. But not just any treat...these treats are famous, world renoun, and are made by little people.....very very little people. Hatches Chocolate shop was literally blocks away from our old apartment and I had no idea it existed. This isn't just you're average everyday chocolate shop...this is something to be compared to with Willie Wonka's factory....Oompas included:) Their so famous they even have their own TV series on HGTV...I think...or the Food Network Channel....well regardless their on TV, they are little people, and they make amazing treats. I couldn't resist the ice cream however...and I had to indulge in some huckleberry flavored ice cream, Catherine chose a chocolate dipped banana, and Catherine's cousin favored for the ice cream as well. Next girls outting will definitely involve a stop at Hatches!
Before you even begin to ask the questions let me answer them for you....no....no...and no. No this is not our mystery baby that I have been hiding under my shirt for the past nine months, no I am not currently pregnant, and no this is not in the near future. However, this is our newest neice...Brooklynn....Rachel's little girl. They drove all the way down from Washington to visit for mother's day and to bless baby Brooklyn. I'm not going to lie though, she was pretty fun to hold, and rock, and coo to. But for now I'll stick to my own 60lb baby that likes to eat air conditioners, and farts in front of family and friends....I love my Timber.
Shes become quiet the shadow to me actually.....whenever she can she'll go with me...wherever it is. Since my old roommate and best friend Rachel Mitchell left for her mission I have been left without a hiking buddy, and now that the snow is finally melted the mountains have been beconing me daily. So finally I headed out, with Timber in tow...which is probably a good thing sense I thought I knew where the Bonneville shoreline was and where it went behind the university hospital...that's right ....thought. We probably hiked a good hour longer than we had planned....but I found out my girl isn't a sissy, she loves the outdoors.....especially birds. I pitty any robin who lands on the wrong side of our fence. After a long day of hiking Timber helps me settle in for the evening and prepare dinner....best assistant chef ever. She never tells me I am doing anything wrong...but is always there to help me clean up any messes.










No comments:
Post a Comment