I never would have thought that the biggest decision of my life would be the best Error I ever made. Life in itself is completely unpredictable and consantly presenting you with turns in the road. It is humbling to think how fragile we are and how our everyday decisions can ultimately determine our happiness and our forever futures. Almost two years ago I found myself at a turning point. I just recently had graduated from nursing school, enjoyed an amazing trip to China to study nursing and upon returning back to the states I was planning on moving down to salt lake city for better job opportunities. I was torn with the decision, leaving my family, my horse, my friends, and some possible guy interests. But still something inside me said, "This is where you need to be.". Unsure of myself and my decision I headed down to the big city alone and scared to death. I had hoped to get a job at Primary Children's hospital, but to my disappointment they somehow had lost my job application. But better fortune was coming my way. I was offered a job in one of the ICU's at the university of utah hospital. I was thrilled, I had been hoping to someday be placed in an ICU, I had no idea that it would be this soon. Each day was an adventure, and as sick as it sounds I found myself waking up at 5am excited for what the day had to bring and teach me. Still, even though the job offered excitement and learning, I found myself feeling lost in my decision and wondering what God had in store for me. I will never forget the first time that I saw Marc, it is as vivid in my mind now as it was that day. I was in the SICU doing a rotation trying to learn their unit incase I ever might be floated there. The university hospital is chuck full of interns, residents, and attendings; there is always a flock of them somewhere making rounds on patients, writing orders, or pre-oping patients. On this particular day I remember standing in on the rounds of one of my patients, wanting to hear what their medical plan was and add in any information that they may need from me. It wasn't the flying birds, music playing, light wind blowing moment like Hollywood may have portrayed from my first look at Marc, rather mine was more mistified. Of course I was admiring his sexy grin, smooth voice, and fit body; but there was something else, something beneath the surface. When I looked at him I didn't think, "wow he's cute I hope I see him again," but rather I thought, "You know, I have a feeling that I am going to see you again, there is something about you that I know will affect my life." It was the strongest feeling I have ever felt regarding a complete stranger. My first glance happened in July, months went by and I never saw him again. That is until the matchmaker of our unit, Katy Fu NP wanted to set me up with a "Hot Intern" as she would say. Laughing I said "Sure, why not?" She made a couple attempts that didn't go over very well. At this point I began to believe that my love life was hopeless and I gave up looking and decided to just let God direct my path. Our other NP, Randall suggested that Katy hook me up with Marc saying that "Marc is LDS, Teana is LDS, and Marc is an amazing guy." All these other failed attempts seemed to like themselves a little too much. We met at a doctors dinner get together, I came after work and on more than one thought considered giving up and going home. I must have been lost for 20minutes trying to find the house. I'm glad I didn't throw in the towel. The evening began awkwardly as the spotlight was obviously placed on us, I only knew a couple of people there, and Katy wasn't able to make it. Somehow though we survived the first conversation smoothly, getting to know each other....and liking what we heard. As the night got late we both decided that we had better get going home. Walking me out to my car I will never forget what he said to me, "So would you want to go out sometime?"...I laughed and said "Do you have time for that?"....he thought for a moment and then said "Well not really, but I want to make time." And that is all it took to have me start falling for him. Fate, Destiny, Serendipidy whatever you want to call it exists, I just prefer to believe that it is the guidance of our Heavenly father. He truly knows what is best for us and what will bring us the most joy and happiness. There are so many other roads that I could have taken, and so many others that Marc could have as well. But somehow our roads met together.......and because of that I thank God for so many unanswered prayers that I have asked for over the past four years.Thursday, October 23, 2008
Serendipity
I never would have thought that the biggest decision of my life would be the best Error I ever made. Life in itself is completely unpredictable and consantly presenting you with turns in the road. It is humbling to think how fragile we are and how our everyday decisions can ultimately determine our happiness and our forever futures. Almost two years ago I found myself at a turning point. I just recently had graduated from nursing school, enjoyed an amazing trip to China to study nursing and upon returning back to the states I was planning on moving down to salt lake city for better job opportunities. I was torn with the decision, leaving my family, my horse, my friends, and some possible guy interests. But still something inside me said, "This is where you need to be.". Unsure of myself and my decision I headed down to the big city alone and scared to death. I had hoped to get a job at Primary Children's hospital, but to my disappointment they somehow had lost my job application. But better fortune was coming my way. I was offered a job in one of the ICU's at the university of utah hospital. I was thrilled, I had been hoping to someday be placed in an ICU, I had no idea that it would be this soon. Each day was an adventure, and as sick as it sounds I found myself waking up at 5am excited for what the day had to bring and teach me. Still, even though the job offered excitement and learning, I found myself feeling lost in my decision and wondering what God had in store for me. I will never forget the first time that I saw Marc, it is as vivid in my mind now as it was that day. I was in the SICU doing a rotation trying to learn their unit incase I ever might be floated there. The university hospital is chuck full of interns, residents, and attendings; there is always a flock of them somewhere making rounds on patients, writing orders, or pre-oping patients. On this particular day I remember standing in on the rounds of one of my patients, wanting to hear what their medical plan was and add in any information that they may need from me. It wasn't the flying birds, music playing, light wind blowing moment like Hollywood may have portrayed from my first look at Marc, rather mine was more mistified. Of course I was admiring his sexy grin, smooth voice, and fit body; but there was something else, something beneath the surface. When I looked at him I didn't think, "wow he's cute I hope I see him again," but rather I thought, "You know, I have a feeling that I am going to see you again, there is something about you that I know will affect my life." It was the strongest feeling I have ever felt regarding a complete stranger. My first glance happened in July, months went by and I never saw him again. That is until the matchmaker of our unit, Katy Fu NP wanted to set me up with a "Hot Intern" as she would say. Laughing I said "Sure, why not?" She made a couple attempts that didn't go over very well. At this point I began to believe that my love life was hopeless and I gave up looking and decided to just let God direct my path. Our other NP, Randall suggested that Katy hook me up with Marc saying that "Marc is LDS, Teana is LDS, and Marc is an amazing guy." All these other failed attempts seemed to like themselves a little too much. We met at a doctors dinner get together, I came after work and on more than one thought considered giving up and going home. I must have been lost for 20minutes trying to find the house. I'm glad I didn't throw in the towel. The evening began awkwardly as the spotlight was obviously placed on us, I only knew a couple of people there, and Katy wasn't able to make it. Somehow though we survived the first conversation smoothly, getting to know each other....and liking what we heard. As the night got late we both decided that we had better get going home. Walking me out to my car I will never forget what he said to me, "So would you want to go out sometime?"...I laughed and said "Do you have time for that?"....he thought for a moment and then said "Well not really, but I want to make time." And that is all it took to have me start falling for him. Fate, Destiny, Serendipidy whatever you want to call it exists, I just prefer to believe that it is the guidance of our Heavenly father. He truly knows what is best for us and what will bring us the most joy and happiness. There are so many other roads that I could have taken, and so many others that Marc could have as well. But somehow our roads met together.......and because of that I thank God for so many unanswered prayers that I have asked for over the past four years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment