Have you ever heard the saying, "You don't know what you have until you lose it."? Well I do, and it took me traveling thousands of miles away to the Dominican Republic for two weeks to realize how much I wanted..no needed Marc in my life. It was an amazing experience, I was a nurse in a surgical center where we performed over 200 surgeries in very poor conditions. Our accomadations were anything but glamerous; sleeping on sketchy bunk beds with nets over your head praying you tucked in all the corners and nothing would be joining you in the middle of the night. Wake up calls at 5am from barking dogs, crowing roosters, pouring rain, and jazzy music. Meals were meager but they were prepared with much love. And on more than one occasion I was waching my hair in a trough. At the hospital there wasn't always clean running water, supplies were scarce, and there were so many people in dire need of our help. During this mission I was blessed with the opportunity to serve and help so many of those that were in need. It also taught me so much, I was taught to appreciate the simple things in life, and that there is no greater happiness you can experience than that when you are serving another. During our time apart Marc and I stayed in touch through e-mails. I would make mile long treks to an internet cafe, praying one was open, that there was no sketchy people there, and that the electricity was working. The days were long and hard, and although I loved what I was doing Marc's letters helped me try a little harder each day. Not going to lie, I was thrilled to be coming home, I had my own personal chauffuer picking me up at the airport...Marc. We'll just say that I went without sleep for over 24 hours...not all of those to blame on the flight:)
In my mind I had been scheeming...as I always do....something special to do for Marc's birthday...I wanted to show him how special he was to me. So on his actual birthday I decorated my apartment like a little French Villa, took him out for a very childish 3D show at the Clark Planitarium, and then back to my Villa for baked salmon and asperagus.....to top it off I actually made creme brulee....not gunna lie, I'm quiet impressed with myself. We cuddled up under the canopy and watched Ratatouille until Marc had to head home for at least a couple of hours of sleep before work.
Continuing the birthday celebration, Marc had Saturday off so I planned a fun little field trip for us to embark on. I wanted to introduce Marc a little bit more to what makes me..me. Chariot racing! We headed to Ogden for the chariot racing, something I did with my family for years growing up as a young girl.
We had fun betting with each other who we though would win and of course why (mainly because one was prettier than the other.) After the races I took Marc up to and old theater for a chick flick ( poor guy, can't believe he married me), to Maddocks for a delicious dinner and then the Crystal Hot Springs for some relaxing. I honeslty don't know how we did those late nights...staying up until midnight and then getting up at 4am or 5am to work for 12 plus hours....I suppose you do crazy things when you're in love.

No comments:
Post a Comment